Eat More Vegetables! Sweet Potato Curry

In my alternate role as Grocery Girl, today I spotted some sweet potatoes priced pretty decently for this time of year. Since one of the goals I've put forward is to work on the nutrition for my vegetarian lifestyle, I figure I'd better try to get my 7-8 fruits and veggies everyday.

Photo by holycalamity
Sweet potatoes are pretty great. They're yummy, they're orange, and they contain a good amount of antioxidants, beta-carotene and vitamin A. Definitely not too shabby. I generally cut em up and freeze them for later when there's a good deal. You can cook em like a regular potato, and, if they're frozen, you can still boil them, make fries, soup, or my favourite- make a curry.


The recipe come courtesy of my friend Heather and is highly modified since I don't measure, I prepare things spur of the moment, and like to use what I have on hand.
  • First I fry up some ginger and garlic, I also like to add cumin, coriander, and ground peppercorn. I do this according to taste and whatever spices I like. 
  • Next, I add 2-3 large sweet potatoes which have been chopped into cubes about an inch each way and I cover them with just enough water to boil them. 
  • I really like Heather's idea of adding 10-12 dates chopped in quarters and I generally go for it. They soften with the cooking and taste pretty good. She also recommends adding a can of chic peas and raisins marinated overnight in olive oil, chopped ginger root, ground cinnamon, 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar, and water. She also adds 1 tablespoon of Madras curry paste and some molasses.
  • Then I add chopped up spinach according to my tastes. And simmer the whole thing for about an hour, or until the potatoes are nice and soft.
  • While this is going, there's enough time to start on the other stuff and I'll make some rice or lentils.

Photo by MinimalistPhotography101.com

YUMMY! My favourite dish to make when company comes for dinner. Next, I think I'll try them in a stew.

Do you have a favourite sweet potato recipe? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear it.

Comments

  1. I love love love sweet potatoes! They are so yummy! Lately I've especially love them in soup. You chop & fry up some onion, celery and garlic. Add some cubed sweet potatoes, veggie broth, basil(about half a teaspoon), salt and a bay leaf. Cook it up until the potatoes are soft and then run everything though the food processor. It makes a creamy vegan soup. My family loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dee
    That sounds really, really delicious and great for cold days. I've got some sweet potatoes left over, I think I'll try this. Thanks for the recipe and the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a question or comment. I'd love to hear it.

Popular Posts

Contact me

Name

Email *

Message *